I keep meeting rebels. We’re not having turkey this year, they say. We’re cooking a piece of beef (or a leg of mutton, duck or a loin of pork). Well, I don’t care if they are serving a whole roast monkfish with a conference pear in its mouth, I’m having turkey. We always have turkey!
TIME LINE – FOR A 12LB TURKEY
- Make both stuffings (including cornbread*)
- Make breadcrumbs for bread sauce*
- Take the turkey out of fridge
- Put forcemeat in neck cavity and seal
- Brush the turkey with melted butter
- Put in roasting pan, cover with foil and leave in cool place
- Peel potatoes and quarter them, prepare Brussels sprouts and put in cold water
- Infuse milk with onion, nutmeg and spices for bread sauce
- Make giblet stock and extra poultry stock*
* Can be done more than one day before
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F/gas mark 4
- Three hours before meal: put turkey in oven
- Two hours before meal: parboil potatoes for five minutes; drain, dust with flour and roast with duck fat
- One hour before meal: heat plates; finish bread sauce
- Half an hour before meal: take turkey out and test for doneness; cook Brussels sprouts (and any other veg); make gravy
These cooking times (which may seem astonishingly short) are based on stuffing the neck only and not wrapping the bird in foil. Allow approximately 1lb/450g on-bone weight per person.
- 6½ lb/3kg: 1¾ hrs
- 11lb/5kg: 2¼ hrs
- 15¼ lb/7kg: 2¾ hrs
- 19¾ lb/9kg: 3½ hours
- 24¼ lb/11kg: 4½ hours
Disclaimer; the information above is estimated only when cooking your bird always refer to the cooking times given in the product information.